Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Room at the End of the Hall

In the times that Brandi and I have discussed how our home would accomodate a child, the room at the end of the hall has been the unanimous choice for a nursery. It's purpose in the recent past has been storage, or a place for things that are 'out of site and out of mind'. It included a dog kennel, games, shoes, cds and dvds, my dresser, and clothing that no longer fits.

Earlier in the year, we finished the attic to add storage space in efforts to clear the room out. I had my good friend Nick Stamper come over help me add plywood and transfer items up through the crawlspace. Over many weekends Brandi and I have sorted, organized, purged and donated our way towards our goal - an empty room that would become a fun and comfortable place for a child.

This weekend was no exception - we have a cedar chest to rid ourselves of and we are working to find a solution for some other items, but we're almost there!

So, just now I allowed myself to walk into the room and envision what it may look like with a new coat of paint and baby furniture. Sitting in the rocking chair and looking at the empty walls was a curious feeling - I can almost see in my mind what the room will become. I wonder what it will be like when someone (that I do not yet know) applies their personality to it as they grow up and makes it their own. Brandi and I even indulged ourselves and placed some color swatches on the wall - the beginning discussion over the important selection of the color of the room. Is this too bright? Too bold? Too drab? Will it MATCH all of the Winnie the Pooh stuff that we will bestow upon the child?? I'll leave you to guess how the discussion went, and both of us had fun bouncing ideas off of each other.

This journey is such an enlightening one. The anticipation I feel is so strong and different than anything I have felt in the past. I can't wait to meet the little person who will put the finishing touches on the room at the end of the hall.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! So excited to see what the future holds for the room at the end of the hall... and for your family!

    ReplyDelete